New Toon: Here Comes the Overpriced Dress... (Same-Sex Marriage Cartoon)
Here Comes the Overpriced Dress... (Same-Sex Marriage Cartoon)
Originally uploaded by M1khaela.
- Inspired by:
- New York Governor Eliot Spitzer's commendable attempt to get marriage equality legislation passed in New York State
- Ariel Levy's awesome piece in New York magazine about her lesbian wedding/"Party About Love." I loved her story and her amazing dress, but I can't imagine paying that much, which brings me to...
- My experience wedding dress shopping with my mom. Sticker shock overload! We went to a store that sold USED and SAMPLE wedding dresses, many of which were stained, torn, worn or needed alterations, but still cost at least $1,200 each. So I got a white lacy 50s-style knee-length cocktail dress for $100 on eBay.
Oh, and here's the amusing photo reference I used for this image, from an unsuccessful solo trip I took to David's Bridal.
- By the way, my point in this cartoon isn't that LGBT weddings aren't worth spending money on, far from it. Just that:
- The whole wedding industry, especially in New York, is a scam in which cakes and dresses suddenly cost 100 times their normal value and...
- Same-sex marriage needs to be legal, NOW.